Saturday, October 31, 2009

TV

Some people think that living in a park must be great. You are surrounded by Nature all the time. They come to the parks to get away from it all, but I am pretty sure they are happy to get back to their "conveniences" of home.

One of the things that I missed most while being a seasonal was not having TV. I know there is not a lot on most of the time, but still it is nice to have some idea about what is going on in the fictional world of your favorite series or have some frame of reference for current pop culture. I was quite fortunate that this year my sister decided I needed TV, and provided me with a little financial "incentive" towards getting it.

After waiting until my EMT-B was over and done with, and after weeks (or months) of looking at packages, I made the jump. Satellite TV, one of the larger packages, local networks and DVR. I am so glad I did! I have found out there are still a number of shows on that I have no interest in, but I have been mindlessly entertained for hours with some of the new series and educated by one of my favorite channels--the History Channel. The best part of the entire decision was the DVR. I work varying schedules and don't get to watch a lot of "live" TV, so the DVR is probably my favorite part of the whole thing.

And this is not just me talking. Numerous seasonals have spent hours in front of their laptops in WI-FI areas watching prerecorded shows, or frequent the one facility in the park that has a public TV (even just for the opportunity to watch the commercials).

Nature, books, hiking and movies by mail only get you so far....sometimes you just need TV.

No comments: