Saturday, July 18, 2009

Plants

The trip home was good. Left after work on Sunday and got back late Wednesday night. We wen to Bishop's Castle, which is near Rye--it was interesting. A multi-story structure of rock, concrete, and iron built by just one man.

When I got back it was interesting to see the change in vegetation--my garden seems to be doing pretty good! I have little-bitty (about the size of a quarter) patty-pan (the scalloped ones) squash, the beans are blooming, the tomatoes are blooming and the peppers look like they are just about ready. And a great crop of weeds.

The park was a different story. It is amazing how much things can change in just 3 days time. The vegetation looks dry, the wildflowers not as vibrant, and the bright yellow "HIGH" fire danger sign at the entrance was discouraging. As I came to work this morning, I noticed the smoke in the atmosphere, basically all around us. As it has been fairly "quiet," I can't help but wonder if this is going to be the year of "another big one"?